Archive for June, 2012
Cunningham A Free Agent, Eyes Move To Heavyweight
Former two time IBF Champion of the World, Steve ‘USS’ Cunningham, announced earlier today that he is now a promotional free agent, as well as stated that he is considering a move to the Heavyweight division.
Cunningham, whose second reign as Champion see him secure victories over Troy Ross and Enad Licina before controversially losing his crown, due to a dubious Technical Decision in favour of his opponent, Cuba’s Yoan Pablo Hernandez, in October 2011.
The IBF reacted instantly, ordering an immediate rematch, which took place on the 4th February, this time the bout went the distance, however the result went against the former Navy man.
Since the second Hernandez fight, Team Cunningham have been attempting to secure a meaningful Cruiserweight bout, preferably a title challenge, without any success.
On making the announcement Cunningham said, “I’m excited to be a free agent again and see what’s out there.
I feel like heavyweight is the right move for me right now, but I would still take the right cruiserweight fight.
I would love to fight in America again, but I’ll go wherever duty calls.”
World Boxing Federation Intercontinental Super Welterweight Champion Sebastien Madani will be looking to take the next step in his career on June 23 when he squares off with Jose Del Rio for the vacant WBF World title at Parc des Sports in Annecy, France.
Besides winning the WBF Intercontinental, 31-year-old Madani, 33-1 (10), is an experienced campaigner with French, Mediterranean and European Boxing Association championships to his credit, but the clash with Spain’s Del Rio, 14-3 (4), will be his first crack at a World title.
After making his pro debut in 2001, Madani won his first seven bouts before losing a decision to another undefeated Frenchman, Hamlet Petrosyan, but since then he has gone undefeated in more than ten years. He captured the WBF Intercontinental belt almost exactly one year ago with a landslide unanimous decision over Bolivian Franklin Mamani.
26-year-old southpaw Jose Del Rio has far less title-fight experience than Madani, but he is a former Spanish national champion and never lost that title in the ring. His three setbacks in the professional ranks all came against good opposition, and he is coming off two solid victories this year.
An interesting side-note to the Palma de Mallorca-resident is that he is the only Spanish boxer in history to win National amateur championships in all four age categories: children, youth, junior and senior. While this fact won’t help him much against Madani, it is a testament to his pedigree and quality as a boxer.
None of the two combatants are known for their power, and it is possible that this could turn out to be a very tactical battle. At the same time, neither of them are afraid to mix things up in a fight so in all likelihood it will be an entertaining scrap over twelve action-packed rounds.
The Sebastien Madani vs. Jose Del Rio World Boxing Federation World Super Welterweight title fight will be promoted by Europrom.
Prospect Wadi Camacho Ready To Impress At Prizefighter – International Heavyweights
After just three professional outings Canning Town Cruiserweight prospect Wadi ‘Machoman’ Camacho gets the chance to shine on the national stage this coming Wednesday, when he takes part in a Prizefighter Prospects bout that supports the latest installment of the highly successful Skysports televised Betfair Prizefighter series.
Camacho, who is managed and trained by Brian Lawrence at the TRAD TKO Boxing Gym in Canning Town, earned the coveted ‘Prospects’ spot following his crowd pleasing, winning, performances against Ireland based Ugandan Moses Matovu in January, a sensational second round stoppage of Lithuanian hardman Rolandas Cesna in March and just last month his supreme domination of Lithuanian Igor Borucha.
Following his final training session last night, a relaxed Camacho said, “I’m so looking forward to it, it’s good to be allowed to fight on a big stage, so it’s gonna be bombs away really.
My first fight was a bit tough but I dealt with the guy on the night, the same with my other two, this one may be even tougher.
This kid’ll be coming to impress also, you don’t get that many opportunities when you first start out to be on such a big televised show. He’ll be coming to fight, but I’ll just do the business on him also.
I know it’s early days but I’ve only got eyes for one thing. One day I want the Lonsdale Belt round my waist. I know if that is to happen I have to fight every fight as if it’s a title fight, I have to win and I have to impress.
Brian, (Manager/Coach Brian Lawrence) has a pedigree of producing Champions, if I keep on winning, hopefully he’ll get me a shot next year, or the year after, but right now though it’s still a learning process and I have to still prove myself.
The way my preparations have gone, the training and the sparring, it’s been excellent. My power has really increased, it’s unbelievable and my weight is fantastic, you know, I’m weighing 14-8 now, I’ve comfortably come down from 15-6, which is spot on.
To all my fans can I say – Enjoy the night, I tell you all the time, I’m a cool guy and I will be showering big bombs on the night.”
Wadi Camacho versus Paul Morris features as support to the Matchroom Sport promoted Betfair Prizefighter – International Heavyweights tournament, which takes place at York Hall in Bethnal Green on Wednesday 20th June 2012, and is broadcast live and exclusive on Skysports.
Two new WBF World Champions were crowned on Friday night June 15, as Holly Holm dethroned Women’s World Welterweight Champion Anne Sophie Mathis in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and Nadjib Mohammedi took the World Light Heavyweight crown from Doudou Ngumbu in Pennes Mirabeau, France.
In a highly anticipated rematch, Holly Holm evened the score with Anne Sophie Mathis at the Route 66 Casino in Albuquerque when she won a unanimous decision to capture the WBF World title. In their original meeting last December Mathis won by brutal knockout, and “The Preachers Daughter” showed amazing mental strength to get right back in with the French power-puncher and pull off the victory.
Unlike their first fight, Holm seemed to be sticking to the gameplan and boxed instead of brawling with the stronger Mathis, who in the first three rounds struggled to cut off the ring while Holm piled up points from the distance. However, in the middle rounds Mathis had more success imposing her will and made it a close fight.
In the final third of the bout it looked as if Mathis might repeat the dramatic ending of the first encounter as she slowly but surely began to close the gap. But this time Holm stood her ground and managed to counter effectively and avoid getting caught by the champion’s hard punches.
Judges Lisa Giampa, David Moretti and Duane Ford scored the bout 96-94, 97-93 and 99-91, the last score being unrealistically wide, in favor of Holm who, besides the WBF World championship, can now also lay claim to the female Pound-For-Pound title.
The new champion improved her record to 31-2-3 (9), while Mathis lost for the first time in almost seventeen years, falling to 26-2 (22). The fight was promoted by Fresquez Productions, with WBF President Howard Goldberg supervising from ringside.
Thousands of miles away, in Pennes Mirabeau, France, reigning WBF Intercontinental Light Heavyweight Champion Nadjib Mohamedi impressively stopped reigning WBF World Champion Doudou Ngumbu at 2:19 of the fifth round. Up until that point, the two had traded on even terms.
The bout was fast-paced and difficult to score, but Ngumbu seemed slightly more accurate. The finish came as a complete surprise, as Mohammedi connected with a perfect left hook that, it would later be revealed, broke the nose of Ngumbu and had the champion bleeding heavily.
After this left hook, Ngumbu completely fell apart and drunkenly stumbled back while Mohammedi sensed his moment and rushed in to finish his foe with a thunderous right hand. Ngumbu fell on all fours, clearly dazed and with blood from his nose running down his face, as referee Noel Monnet counted him out.
With that, the crowd at the Salle Jean Roure went wild as Mohammedi fulfilled his dream of becoming a world champion. He improved his professional record to 28-3 (15), and Ngumbu dropped to 29-4 (11). Promoter was Robert Safrani of Boxing Center.
After three false starts, the long awaited showdown, between former British Cruiserweight Champion Leon ‘Solid’ Williams and Southern Area Champ Tony ‘Conqueror’ Conquest, is finally set to take place, on the Olivia Goodwin promoted ‘One More Round’ event at York Hall on Saturday 7th July.
The last time this highly anticipated Clash of the Titans was due to take place was back in January, as Williams’ first defense of his British Crown, however Conquest was forced to withdraw due to a viral infection.
With Conquest out Williams instead defended against Nottingham’s Shane McPhilbin.
For eleven rounds Williams totally dominated the proceedings, including sending McPhilbin to the canvas twice. However after just thirty seconds of the final round things took a dramatic turn, for the worse, after McPhilbin landed a powerful clubbing shot, to the back of the defending Champ’s head, which ultimately lead to the fight being stopped and a new British Champion crowned.
With no quick rematch with McPhilbin, or a shot at current British Champ Enzo Maccarinelli on the horizon, the only way Williams could get back into the Championship mix this year would be to challenge his good friend Conquest.
A situation that wasn’t lost on the former Champ, as he made clear when he spoke briefly, following a training session at the TRAD TKO Boxing Gym, earlier. “Yeah it’s a stepping stone, I know I gave up the Southern Area title before I beat Rob Norton and became British Champ, but it does lead to bigger and better things.
God willing, I’ll get the chance to get my Lonsdale belt back after beating Tony on the 7th.
No make that Johnny willing, Johnny, my manager Johnny Eames, will do the business side for me, I’ve just got to win.
Preparation has been very good, sparring has been the best. I’m Dereck Chisora’s main sparring partner, so that’s good experience and I learn from it all the time.
This is really going to help me with the fight. Dereck’s a very big, strong guy and after all this work Tony will feel like a lightweight in comparison – Thank you Dereck Chisora.
I’m not trashing Tony, he’s a good friend of mine and a very good boxer, but there’s no friendship when you step in the ring, you fight, and that’s what we’re going to do – fight.
Team Solid is back…and climbing the ladder to the top. Team Solid all day, every Day…Yeah.”
Leon ‘Solid’ Williams versus Tony ‘Conqueror’ Conquest for the Southern Area Cruiserweight title co-headlines Olivia Goodwin’s ‘One More Round’ event at York Hall in Bethnal Green, London on Saturday 7th July 2012.
Tickets, priced £60 (Ringside) and £35 (Standard Seated), for Leon Williams vs. Tony Conquest are available on-line now at www.tkoboxoffice.com – tickets are also be available direct from Leon Williams or the TRAD TKO Boxing Gym, Gillian House, Stephenson Street, Canning Town, London E16 4SA.
World Boxing Federation Women’s World Welterweight Champion, and Pound-For-Pound Queen, Anne Sophie Mathis is just a few days away from her June 15 rematch with Holly Holm in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Mathis stopped Holm in their first fight last December by seventh round knockout, and is confident she will be able to win again. The WBF World title fight will be promoted by Fresquez Productions.
The following is a Q & A with Mathis, courtesy of Bob Trieger.
Q: Last time was your first fight in the US. Do you expect things to be more comfortable this time around? Not so much the fight but being in New Mexico, cultural and language differences, food, etc
A: I do not think that the fight be easier, it will be harder because the judges will not allow me to win on points. I shall need a KO to be sure to win a second time.
Q: How, if at all, do you expect this fight to be any different than the last?
A: By being a little bit realistic, I do not think that she will come and look for the confrontation!
Q: Is there an advantage for you because you stopped here the last fight and does that weigh in a fighter’s mind?
A: It is certain that it is an advantage, but especially what is going to move me forward is to know the place and the fighter, and to be 100 % ready physically and mentally.
Q: Not looking ahead but, assuming you win, where do you go from here?
A: No matter the result I hope to fight (Cecilia) Braekhus at the end of the year. Otherwise I may retire from boxing.
Q: were you pleased with the notoriety you received from beating Holly?
A : I was very satisfied with the response I got from the media in America. But the French media is not interested in female boxing.
Q : Are you any different than you were the first fight?
A: I haven’t changed, except for progressing mentally and technically. I focus on the level of my opponent, and I study them to fight them the best way. I don’t underestimate anybody, but I trust in myself and my work.
Q: It’s obvious you have a big punch. Holly said she got away from her game plan of boxing. Do you expect here to drastically change her style for this fight?
A: I think it’s impossible to change your boxing style in only a few months. She will fight the way she fights. She wants to dominate, but when she is dominated the plan falls into the water. I have studied most of her fights, and I think I know her better than she knows me, and I know how to beat her again.
Q: Without giving away any secrets, do you plan to fight the same type of fight?
A: I won’t say a word about it, but I will be stronger than in the first fight.
Q: What type of fight do you expect?
A: I expect that she will fight defensively, and that she will try to hit and run to avoid the confrontation.
Q: Any prediction?
A: It’s going to be a knockout, or I probably lose on points. They will give it to her, even if I deserve to win. They tried everything to put me off in the first fight, and I don’t expect any favors from the judges.
World Boxing Federation World Light Heavyweight Champion Doudou Ngumbu won his title the hard way, by going into his opponent’s backyard to put on an impressive performance. He did so last November when he beat Aleksy Koziemski in the Polish fighter’s hometown of Bialystok.
While Ngumbu, 29-3 (11), will not be going abroad for his first title-defense, the Congo-born Frenchman will be in for a tough challenge when he clash with WBF Intercontinental Champion Nadjib Mohammedi on June 15 at the Salle Jean Roure in Pennes Mirabeau, France.
And just for the record, Ngumbu will be going into hostile territory again, as Mohammedi is from nearby Gardane and will have the majority of the crowd on his side on fight night. Ngumbu won the title on his opponent’s turf, and he will be defending it on his opponent’s turf!
On top of that, Nadjib Mohammedi, 27-3 (14), is a tough-as-nails operator. He won the WBF Intercontinental title in December 2011 by defeating Georgian George Tevdorashvili, and successfully defended it this past April with a victory over Switzerland’s Mohamed Belkacem to set up his second world title-opportunity.
Mohammedi fought undefeated Welshman Nathan Claverly for the WBO world title in December 2010, and lost a close decision. He will undoubtedly be going all out to come out victorious against Ngumbu, and the defending champion has no intentions of letting his hard-earned championship slip away. It looks like a can’t-miss crowd-pleaser!
The Doudou Ngumbu vs. Nadjib Mohammedi WBF World Light Heavyweight title fight will be promoted by Robert Safrani / Boxing Center.
Former World Champion Julio “La Sombra” Zarate captured the vacant World Boxing Federation Latin Super Bantamweight title on Thursday night when he defeated Mexican countryman Francisco Dianzo at the Discoteca New York in Puebla, Mexico.
Zarate was a class above Dianzo, who failed to be a serious threat with his considerable punching-power, and dominated the proceedings from the first bell with good hand speed and nice moment. Zarate looked on top of his game, and never let Dianzo get the initiative.
The bout was stopped at 2:42 of the third round when referee Alex Arteaga had seen enough, awarding Zarate the victory by technical knockout.
With the win “La Zombra” improved his record to 29-6-2 (18), and got him back on track for another crack at a world championship. Dianzo fell to 24-10 (21), and it’s hard to see where he goes from here if he wants to be successful at the highest level.
The show was promoted by MRM Boxing Promoters.
No matter if you love them or hate them, David Haye versus Dereck Chisora is the most anticipated domestic boxing match this century – bar none.
Media coverage of their infamous press conference brawl in February has been nonstop, so much so it was inevitable that David Haye and Dereck Chisora would settle their differences in the ring sometime – well the time is now and it will be right here in London, at Upton Park, the home of West Ham United, on July 14th.
It was recently confirmed that the two Londoners would fight for the WBO International and WBA Intercontinental Heavyweight Championships in a fight being billed “Licensed to Thrill”.
Supporting the UK fight of the century is a smorgersbord of International stars, headed up by WBA World Heavyweight Champion Alexander Povetkin in his third defence of the title he won from Ruslan Chagaev in August 2011. Challenging Povetkin for his coveted WBA crown will be American Hasim Rahman
Full underard to be announced in the near future.
Tickets, priced from £50 for this must see event are available on-line now at www.tkoboxoffice.com or in person from the TRAD TKO Boxing Gym, Gillian House, Stephenson Street, Canning Town, London E16 4SA. For further information call 07960 850645